Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Itching

Guys, I'm really itching to travel again.

I'm feeling stuck here in monotony world. I am not a fan of schedules or routines. I spent the afternoon sorting through my College of Education application, e-mailing various people, and figuring out where I am in terms of graduation, to give you an example of how exciting my day was. Whoo.

I know we can't all be loosey-goosey and do whatever we want all the time, we have to have responsibilities, blah, blah, blah. I'm feeling very anti-responsible at this time and WANT TO BREAK FREE. Que Queen.

I really do understand that responsibilities are essential, especially in the life of a college student, but I can't help but think about my life as a whole and how much I want to do and see. I really want to travel more. I believe it is one of the greatest ways to learn. I believe curiosity drives learning. To be genuinely interested in something propels you to search for meaning, therefore learning along the way and feeling fulfilled because you quenched that initial curiosity. Am I making sense? I guess what I'm trying to say is that curiosity is the key to learning. Without being curious about anything, you will never learn anything or receive the satisfaction of learning new things. I can say I earnestly feel this way in many aspects of my life. Especially my future profession as an elementary teacher. (Yes, this is a tangent.) I feel as if it is my job as a teacher to simply ignite and encourage my students' existing curiosities through activities and resources. ANYWAY. Moving on.

I am curious about the world. Its history, its people. The whole darn thing. I want to be in new places and learn new things. I am very curious and sitting here in familiarity is really painful. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE my family, friends, and life in general. I am blessed beyond belief. Really. But I just feel this urge to explore further. We'll see where it goes.

Anyhow, this curiosity was put over the edge today because my bro and I won 2 free nights at a hostel in Sevilla. It wasn't that big of a drawing and we can't use the nights because, news flash, plane tickets are hella expensive, but it just put me over the edge. My bro and I are also planning a Euro trip after I graduate allll the way in 2013. We're planning on flying into Dublin, then London, Amsterdam, Venice, Ibiza, Sevilla, and finally back to Dublin to fly home. We're planning on taking about 3 weeks or so. This is all too far away for me.

Do you guys feel an urge to do anything but can't? It's humbling and I know I need to take time to appreciate my current situation more, but I need to feed this exploration soon. Have any advice? I'd be happy and grateful to hear it : )

4 comments:

  1. how perfectly does this post correspond with my recent facebook status:

    ‎"don't ask yourself what the world needs. ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do that. because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

    -harold thurman whitman

    mind you, i am not 100% sure what all makes me feel alive just yet, but i know traveling is one of them. i'm with ya, girl.

    mel cordero :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Mel... traveling makes me feel alive. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that traveling is the best way to learn about life in general. After all, life is another trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, Deivid. I can't wait to go back to Sevilla, my second home : )

    ReplyDelete