Sunday, December 18, 2011

On Rest

Today is the first day I am enjoying my Christmas break for what it is, a break.

I started my break on Thursday, but things were very far from restful and for the past few days anxiety has consumed me. I had to take a early morning teacher test that went sour, I've been checking my final grades once every hour, and I march into stores with intense purpose to find the best Christmas gifts ever, not enjoying the process of Christmas shopping (is that possible?). Anyway, I've also been very anxious because I know how fast break goes. I really don't know what my problem is. Typically when there is an opportunity to relax, I'm all there, but lately I feel as if I've had my defenses up and have been running so fast that I'm skimming over life. There has been reason lately to be defensive, but it's very exhausting and I would like it to end.

So it is, ending. Goodbye.

To begin this break, I purchased two books on my lovely Nook, The Life of Pi and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (have you seen the movie trailer?).

I'm also enjoying getting lost in the pages of travel books. I've been daydreaming way too much about Alex's and my trip to Europe, which is still many, many days away. I've narrowed down that Venice is a must-see city when we go to Italy and am still researching a city to visit on the Amalfi coast (think: Western Italy). I've also contemplated (not seriously) becoming a female nomad. What are your thoughts? I'm reading an interesting book about a woman, who at the age of 47, travels around Mexico and Central America by herself. She has drive, curiosity, and a thirst for adventure. I soon realized on page 20-something-or-another that that life is not cut out for me. Although I adore traveling and will continue to travel, being alone and without a definite home is not for me.

So, I am going to soak in this time of peace and rest. I will drink a cup of tea (maybe two) everyday, I will read everyday, I will eat candy everyday, and I will bake (almost) everyday. I am not going to be anxious that yes, this break will end and yes, next semester will be quite the doozy, but I am going to live for n.o.w. This beautiful "puente," as the Spanish would call it, that allows me to rest and re-group.

Tell me, what do you have planned for this time of rest? Lots of family? Cooking? Baking? I hope you thoroughly enjoy it and get a break from hectic and life-sucking schedules and find rest. 


source: http://favim.com/image/27255/

2 comments:

  1. Kristina, I went to Italy my junior year of high school. On the Amalfi coast, we went to the city of Sorrento and the island of Capri, both gorgeous! Just thought I'd let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm lovely. I may need to ask you some questions then : )

    ReplyDelete